[opencms-dev] Static Export Speed in Version 6

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Mar 15 08:31:31 CET 2006

Brett Beaumont wrote:

> All,
>
> We manage a couple of large OpenCMS v5 instances where the static
> export time is incredibly long (over an hour). Can anyone tell me if
> OpenCMS v6 makes a significant difference to the speed of the static
> export?
>
> */ Brett Beaumont / *
> / Technical Consultant /
> / Sytec Resources Limited ///* *
>
> / Email /   < mailto:brett.beaumont at sytec.com
> <mailto:brett.beaumont at sytec.com> >
> / WWW /     http://www.sytec.com <http://www.sytec.com>
>
> Important:  This electronic mail message and attachments (if any) are
> confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the
> intended recipient please contact us immediately and destroy this
> message.  You may not legally copy, disclose, disseminate or use the
> contents in any way.  Thank you. *//*

I have the feeling that it is faster than with opencms 5, but still it
requires a lot of time for publishing.
not much experience yet from my side.

I have coded an own publishing class to do the static export in a
low-priority background process so that the user doesn't have to wait
for it to finish.
If i've tested it, i'll post it to the list.

Of course background publishing still generates load and takes time. If
you make changes very frequently, then I don't know - maybe it's better
then to use the new OnDemandStaticExportHandler, which hooks into the
"file not found" processing and writes out a page only, if it is
requested and not yet existing.
In this way, your pages don't have to be pre-exported, before they are
requested.

Christian