[opencms-dev] is OpenCms right for us?

stuart.powers at gmail.com stuart.powers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 18:38:49 CET 2006

Hello,

The two websites http://www.dimins.com/ and
http://www.hospitalanalysis.com/are currently maintained by a CMS
which I programmed myself (4000 lines of
perl..ugh)

We need to change the CMS that maintains these websites.  My question is, is
OpenCms *too* big and complicated for what we need?  I know OpenCms can
definitely do what we need, but are we better off with a simpler CMS?  How
hard is it to migrate our existing content into OpenCms? Can it be automated
in any way (I'm a perl hacker, and if there is a way to do it in perl, I can
probably figure it out, but I don't know the underlying OpenCms structure to
know if it's even feasable)

Is it bad style to incorporate perl scripts into OpenCms, or should perl be
ditched completely?  (development in perl is so much faster than java.. if
only perl was easily extensible)

OpenCms has Project Management and Account Administration and a bunch of
other features that we just do not need.  We are fine with 1 or 2 users have
Administration privaledges and just trusting them.  I'm sorry if this
question is farily vague but I do not really know how to make it more
specific.

In insight at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stu