[opencms-dev] is OpenCms right for us?

Marcus Popetz marcus at roundpeg.com
Thu Mar 23 19:18:18 CET 2006

At 12:38 PM 3/23/2006, stuart.powers at gmail.com wrote:
>How hard is it to migrate our existing content into OpenCms? Can it be
>automated in any way (I'm a perl hacker, and if there is a way to do it in
>perl, I can probably figure it out, but I don't know the underlying
>OpenCms structure to know if it's even feasable)

I took data out of a old cms and migrated it into OpenCMS with
Perl.  Basically, assuming your old templates have nice delimiters printed
out in the resulting html (or can have nice delimeters added) like "-- end
header --" "-- start 1st column --, -- end 1st column --", etc, you can
just do suck the site down with wget, parse it into different pieces (ie: a
directory of 1st column content, 2nd column content, etc).

After that, opencms has a way to import a zip and assign the uploaded
content to a element of the template so you can just upload a couple of zip
files and have it import them into different template elements in openCMS.

There is quite a learning curve on OpenCMS (unless I'm a moron and took
longer than everyone else).   I hear they're working on a book for version
6.0.  If I had the time, I'd wait until that book comes out.

-mp