[opencms-dev] "New" icon greyed out??

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Fri Mar 24 19:14:57 CET 2006

Could it be that you did not map the necessary folders in the project
you created? You can use the project to "sandbox" a part of the site,
such that you can only edit the part that actually is a part of the
currently selected project (I prefer the term "a project maps to
folders" just to avoid the confusion that include or likewise terms can
give raise to).

As for projects in general, while you may think of them as branching in
CVS terms, it is not - you are always working on just one copy of the
file. So there is no merging with the original (I guess if you want to
term it for the marketing department you could label it "instant merge"
since it happens as soon as you make changes :-)

But still, they allow you to "register" the changes inside a certain
project, and afterwards publish them all in one go (without affecting
other parts of the site being edited). This is indeed useful if more
than one person is working on the site (and even if you're the only one
- in case you have a long running update of say a new part of the site,
while you still need to maybe fix typos in the existing part of the site).

But the limitation is that there is only one file and which ever project
  (in case several projects mapping out to the same folders in the VFS)
is  last used to change a resource (just locking it will do) becomes the
project to which all changes "belong" and thusly will be published as a
part of when you publish the project.

Claus Priisholm, CodeDroids ApS
Phone: +45 48 22 46 46
cpr (you know what) codedroids.com - http://www.codedroids.com