[opencms-dev] Newbie: Porting existing sites

John Mazzocchi John.Mazzocchi at tafmo.com
Wed Mar 29 05:56:56 CEST 2006

Hi there, new to this list and also new to OpenCms ...

My situation is such that we have  3 websites: a static pages website (which will need updating content-wise, but in a fairly simple way ... adding news items, etc.) and 2 other websites which are more dynamic ... they currently have a mix of some static HTML pages and some raw JSP pages (no taglibs used, just "scriptlets" - i.e. raw Java) which run under Tomcat.

The navigation for each site involves some pretty involved JavaScript and CSS (they vary quite a bit, long story ...) ... and I *DO NOT* want OpenCms to handle this, in fact I'd like OpenCms to ignore the navigation code - obviously this means that I'd need a different template for every page, am I right?

The JSP pages work as such ... there's a different form on each one which submits parameters through a GET to a JSP (sometimes on another server, which then grabs information from a PostGres DB, and then sends back HTML which gets embedded in the JSP, which reloads itself ... and other ones call a JSP in the same directory). Obviously, it's a homegrown solution/kludge ... ;)

Would it be difficult to port this to OpenCms ... am I better off with something like JBoss Portal or JetSpeed perhaps?

Thanks for any help.

John Mazzocchi

P.S. Running Windows & Tomcat 5.5 on my dev machine - and Linux & Tomcat 5.5 on the prod server. The DB is on Linux. (if it makes any difference)