[opencms-dev] Customizing Events modulesdemo *newbie

Nikhil Silveira nikhil.silveira at recreatesolutions.com
Wed Mar 29 08:04:21 CEST 2006

Greetings!

I'm a newbie to OpenCMS and find the lack of documentation, books or
tutorials a little daunting.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the following please:

I need to customize the Modules (Events) demo that ships with OpenCMS 6.0.3

I was thinking of a designing on these lines.
Need your feedback on whether this is an appropriate way to proceed:

1) Will provide web users with a custom jsp page to Add an Event to the
site.
Need to do this as webusers cannot access the OpenCMS workplace.

(Will save the event details in a new non-OpenCMS database table -- couldn't
figure out how [in which table] OpenCMS stores the demo events data
internally).

2) Now the problem is: How do I transfer the new event data from the custom
table above to OpenCms's internal tables?

 That is, I could either:

    a) provide the site admin with a page similar to step 1, where the admin
can approve or reject the new event.
If approved, the event should be published (but it is not yet in the OpenCms
VFS)!

    b) customise the OpenCMS admin's workplace screen (displayed when
editing a listing in the event modulesdemo)
to inlcude an approve / reject field among other things.

    I understand I can do this by tinkering with the xmlcontent schema
defined in /system/modules/org.opencms.frontend.templateone.modules/schemas/

    But the problem still remains of pulling data from the custom table to
the OpenCms workplace view for editing an event.

    And I'm also making the assumption that (if I somehow manage to pull
data from the custom table into the workplace view,) pressing the save and
close button in the workplace will automatically move the event details into
the OpenCms VFS.

In both cases (a & b) I'm fairly clueless on how to proceed, and would
appreciate a few pointers.

I hope I have provided enough (relevant) detail. Thank you for your time.

Thanks & Regards,

Nikhil Silveira