[opencms-dev] Questions re OpenCMS architecture

Robert Petermeier robert2.0 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 29 14:05:12 CEST 2006

Mike W wrote:
> Firstly, why does it use its own DB pooling mechanism when it's deployed
> to a J2EE container?

Good question. Maybe for historical reasons? Development started in
1999, when CGI and Perl scripts were the state of the art in web
development (yes, I know that's a simplification).

I agree that it might make sense to use standard techniques here. Still,
it would make the installation procedure even more complicated than it
is now as you'd have to edit the server config and/or deployment descriptor.

> Secondly, why does the installation process use the supplied
 > admin user to then create its own (unrestricted) admin user?

Probably because during installation more permissions (CREATE DATABASE,
CREATE TABLE, ...) are needed than for a running system. What's the
problem with that?

Robert