[opencms-dev] Stupid question ... site setup

Arash Kaffamanesh arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de
Fri Apr 7 10:46:00 CEST 2006

Hi John,

A normal site structure should be like this for a multisite installation:

/sites/default
/sites/siteA
/sites/siteB

let the default site as is for the documentation and for development, in a
production environment I don't install any documenatation and any
templateone stuff, and use the default site really as my site.

>> Are you saying that the html snippets should live under

>> /sites/default/siteA/ ?

No, if siteA is a minisite (a type of site, which is definded as extended
folder and is used with templateone demo), then yes you could say you have a
minisite under the default site.

The xmlpages (which you call html snippets) normally exist under any site
structure for example:

/sites/siteA
	/en
		index.html
	/de
		index.html
		foo.html

But in general they could exist also under any modules too only in that case
if the module author or administrator decides to have it there and it is not
accessible for any xmlpage editors, which write content in the pages, for
instance the imrint.html and search.html are of type jsp and exist under the
pages folder of template one (please don't get confused now).

>>> Also, why would I (as a few online docs suggest) want image galleries?
Can't the images all just live under my /resources/ directory?

If the image galleries exist under the resources folder of a module, then
the editors can't access and upload images to it, because the user and even
project manager type normally can't access anything under /system/* folder.

>> Another question occurs to me ... what actually happens when I Publish?

After logging into the workplace, you are in the Offline Project, which is
the default type of projects and the new stuff which you write and don't
publish is only visible in the Offline project, after publishing they will
get Online, so that any guest user could see them, unless you define some
webusers, which shall have an account with username and password and could
access the pages by logging.

So take it easy Offline means that the unpublished files are only visible
through the workplace and publishing means to "PUBLISH" it for the Online
guests :-) ok??

>> And lastly, why does the documentation not explain any of this? Other
CMSes

I haven't read through the documentation for a while, but I think the Online
Help is sufficient for editors and the Alkacon Documenation and the well
written API Documentation shall be enough for Developers.

There are more documentation for editors available in German, which I've
written for our clients, but I think you are not satisfied with the
developer documentation, but there are many forums and mailings-archives
which fill these gaps.

Did you have a look at?:

www.opencms-forum.de

This is the great official opencms forum and could be of help for any
newbies and professionals (beside my opencms hobby forum :-)).

And the best place is this excellent mailings list, where you can get always
an answer to your questions.

You are welcome!

Kind Regards,
Arash