[opencms-dev] simple newbie questions about installation

Ruben Malchow ruben at khm.de
Sun Apr 16 10:16:41 CEST 2006

hello judith,

the error message says it all: you're running opencms using a jre, not a
jdk. the difference? well, the jre does not include a java compiler,
which is needed to compile the jsps. it sits in a file called tools.jar
in your java enviroment's lib dir (if you're using the sun jdk, i don't
know about the others.

i am assuming you are on a windows box (your mailer agent says so), so
the question is: what do you do to run your tomcat instance? do you run
it from the command line? you might want to try setting everything
manually instead of using the startup script:

assuming you have your tomcat in D:\tomcat and your jdk in
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_05\  the commands needed are:

 > D:
 > cd tomcat
 > C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_05\bin\java -classpath
.\bin\bootstrap.jar org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

(notice that the last thing is only ONE line)

that way, you can make sure what is used exactly instead of having to
rely on the script to figure it out.

.rm