[opencms-dev] importing files on remote site when opencms sits on remote site

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 00:47:12 CEST 2006

Actually this would be a useful feature. Whenever I write software to
upload an image from a web form I usually provide two mechanisms:
1. The traditional browse from disk (which OpenCms has)
2. Get from URL

Option #2 is very, very useful for images. Often you need to upload an
image that's already on a web page.

With option #1 you need to save to disk. Remember where you saved it.
Then browse to that file in the upload form.

With option #2 (using Firefox), just right click on the image, select
"Copy Image Location" then paste into the URL box. This has the added
advantage that the the server does the copy operation.

To answer your question:

If your server is a unix like machine (eg Linux) you could try the
OpenCms FTP module which was mentioned here a few days ago and try
telnet/ssh into the server and use the command line FTP tool to upload
into OpenCms.

Alternatively it should be possible with a bit of work to write a
script/module to upload files by specifying a URL.

Joe.