[opencms-dev] OpenCMS and RPM packaging

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Apr 29 15:41:00 CEST 2006

Joe Desbonnet schrieb:
> Assuming that OpenCms works with the free Java stack distributed in
> the Fedora Core Linux distribution, it would be a worthy project to
> package up OpenCms as a RPM. As everything is in a standard location
> in Fedora Core you don't have to worry about that locations of the
> Tomcat container etc.
>
> Redhat Enterprise Linux closely follows Fedora conventions, so it is
> likely that the same RPM will work on this platform also.
>
> I have no doubt that OpenCms could make it into the Fedora "Extras"
> repository if there was an RPM version of the software. I think this
> would provide a huge boost to the OpenCms user base.

I see. Sounds quite good to me (Although I personally don't use redhat,
but many people as well as many providers do...)
Might be helpful to offer a "minumum" and a "maximum" workplace install
option here.
> Unfortunately I have never made an RPM (yet)... so I'm probably not
> the person to take this on. Also I suspect that some minor refactoring
> of the way OpenCms configures itself will be required for this to work
> smoothly.
Well, an auto-setup of everything by just installing an opencms RPM on
top of mysql+tomcat would certainly be interesting to some people.
Theoretically this should be possible, because the  import process of
opencms seems to be done through cms shell commands.
But the other steps like DB setup would maybe have to be exposed to the
CMS shell or a similar mechanism....

Sadly I am also totally unfamiliar with RPM.

> Joe.

Christian