[opencms-dev] OpenCMS and RPM packaging

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 15:12:53 CEST 2006

Assuming that OpenCms works with the free Java stack distributed in
the Fedora Core Linux distribution, it would be a worthy project to
package up OpenCms as a RPM. As everything is in a standard location
in Fedora Core you don't have to worry about that locations of the
Tomcat container etc.

Redhat Enterprise Linux closely follows Fedora conventions, so it is
likely that the same RPM will work on this platform also.

I have no doubt that OpenCms could make it into the Fedora "Extras"
repository if there was an RPM version of the software. I think this
would provide a huge boost to the OpenCms user base.

Unfortunately I have never made an RPM (yet)... so I'm probably not
the person to take this on. Also I suspect that some minor refactoring
of the way OpenCms configures itself will be required for this to work
smoothly.

Joe.