[opencms-dev] Will installing OpenCms really destroy a database.

cfn at kb.dk cfn at kb.dk
Thu May 4 14:50:09 CEST 2006

Hello,

We are curently in the process of instrallin OpenCms for evaluation
purposes and wonder
about something written by the installer.

We wanted to use our existing testing DB, but aborted the install when the
installer
informed us that it intended to drop our database, thus destroying all
existing content.

Is this really what should happen, or is "drop database" just badly
translated from German
or some MySQL lingo where terms mean something different than in an Oracle
environment ?

I would assume that adding a new schema for OpenCms to the database should
be enough,
thus allowing OpenCms to work with an existing database.

So.

1. Will installing OpenCms onto an existing Oracle DB destroy its original
content ?

2. Will installing OpenCms onto a separate instance on an Oracle DB server
destroy
other instances ?

We are attempting to use OpenCms 6.2.1 on a Linux system with an Oracle
10g (10.1.0.4).

Cheers,

Carl