[opencms-dev] synchronization doesn't work in my installation...

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Fri May 12 17:10:07 CEST 2006

Xenofon -

In case it's any use, I've included below a snippet from my environment
set-up instructions.  You can ignore the bit about _resources, but otherwise
it might give you some idea of how to use synchronisation; and it shows how
you can synchronise into more than one VFS folder with a single step.

Jon

Sub-heading: Set up OpenCms synchronisation (for development only)

Even if you are later going to import an exported set of /sites/default
content, follow these steps as suggested.  You can't import content until
dependent module content has been incorporated.

1.  Create the VFS folder /system/modules/{{runtime.opencms.module.name}}.
Don't make it navigable, neither set any any other properties nor create an
index file in it.

2.  Create VFS folder /sites/default/_resources without making it navigable.
This folder is used to hold end-user-accessible module resources such as
page furniture, logos etc.  Once it's created, click on the folder icon and
choose 'Secure/export' to make it an export point.  Don't set an exportname,
i.e. allow OpenCms to follow the default.

3.  In Workplace/Administration/Workplace tools/Synchronization Settings,
enable synchronisation and set up a synchronisation betweeen RFS directory
{{runtime.app.synch.home}} and VFS directories
/system/modules/{{runtime.opencms.module.name}} and
/sites/default/_resources.

4.  For synchronisation settings to be picked up, it seems that you need to
log off the Workplace then log on again.

5.  Carry out an initial synchronisation (which is therefore with the empty
RFS directory).  This causes OpenCms to regard subsequent changes to the RFS
directory as requiring mirroring in the VFS.  (Note that in OpenCms 6.0.4,
but not 6.2.x, there's a bug which means that you shouldn't hit 'OK' after
synchronisation, because the Workplace interface won't be properly restored.
Instead just hit the Workplace 'Reload' button.)

Background:
.	We're bootstrapping ourselves: we want to develop an OpenCms module
and therefore we need to bring in developed resources, and we do this by
synchronisation.  But need to have something to synchronise with, hence the
creation in step 1 of the module root folder.

.	Synchronisation (under Workplace/Administration/Workplace
tools/Synchronization Settings) allows an RFS folder to be synchronised with
one or more VFS folders.  The full path of each VFS folder is created in the
RFS folder.  After an initial synchronisation with an empty RFS synch
directory, the contents of each location will be kept in synchrony.

.	On the first synchronisation, the RFS folder should be completely
empty.  All matching VFS resources will be copied there, together with a
file #synclist.txt in the root of the synch folder; this details names and
timestamps of RFS and VFS equivalents, and once there must be left there.

.	This step illustrates a general principle, namely that following any
changes to the synch directory structure in the development environment,
always synchronise from the Workplace first before establishing the changed
content in the RFS synch directory.  That way, OpenCms can properly mirror
the structure therein.

.	Synchronisation settings are set per-user.  Only the Admin user
should be synchronising, so we only set up synchronisation for this user.