[opencms-dev] Setting up dev environment for multiple developer

Arash Kaffamanesh arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de
Sat May 13 16:17:15 CEST 2006

Hi Robin,

For OpenCms you can use the synchronization feature from the workplace:

1. Every developer shall update her working copy from CVS (possibly merge
and solve conflicts)
2. Synchronize the updated working copy with OpenCms on your local
development environment and test the updated module on your local
installation (I assume the opencms-*.xml system files will be completed
manually, also it would be possible to use a working copy for *.xml files
too).

Then you can use the module export from your local dev and import it on the
Integration / QA or Production Server.

It would be also possible to checkout or better export (cvs export) the
source on the QA Server (to get rid of CVS folders), synchronize and set the
properties on the jsp's (e.g.export=false) in the workplace of QA Server,
write the additional settings into opencms-modules.xml for e.g. new
XMLContent definitions.

For the struts part of your app, I think it should work similar to this
approach too (but not 100%ly sure, I think there are some struts-config.xml
files which shall be adjusted on the server too).

I'm going to write an OpenCms Development LifeCycle paper next week and test
this approach. I'll let you know about that on this list.

Do you have a simple struts sample app with a small howto, which I could
integrate into opencms for testing (I don't know anything about struts <->
opencms integration, only that there have been some integration modules for
opencms).

HTH,

Kind Regards,
Arash