[opencms-dev] broken image links

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Mon May 22 15:39:30 CEST 2006

Looks like these resources are being exported into static form, i.e. in the
Real Filing System/RFS rather than the Virtual Filing System (VFS).  This
happens when folders or resources are marked as being exportable - look at
the actions available on folders/resources in the Workplace, and you'll see
when of them is related to exporting.  You should be able to find more about
exporting in OpenCms documentation.  The config file
opencms-importexport.xml (<opencms
home>/WEB-INF/config/opencms-importexport.xml) is ultimately what controls
import/export settings.

If you write links to a site resource as
<cms:link>/my/picture.jpg</cms:link> then OpenCms takes care of rewriting
the link as necessary depending on the exportability of the resource.  For
non-exported resources, the link is left as you write it; for exportable
resources, the link is rewritten to map to the equivalent file in the RFS
export location.

As to when the exporting actually takes place, that's another matter.  By
default, exporting happens on demand: user requests resource at what has
been rewritten to an export location; OpenCms can't find it there; it
locates the corresponding resource in the VFS, then exports it (from the
database, effectively) to a static form in the RFS; and it serves up the
resource.  Subsequent requests for the same URI _will_ find the exported
version in the RFS location, so it's served from there henceforth without
the overhead of database etc.  If you have Apache acting as a front end to
your OpenCms installation, you can even use mod_rewrite to do fancy things
like having Apache serve exported resources directly while deferring to
OpenCms for all the rest.

Jon