[opencms-dev] "Managing and Customizing OpenCms 6" book will be released soon

TechnoSophos technosophos at gmail.com
Tue May 30 22:36:12 CEST 2006

All,

I wanted to let you know that the new book "Managing and Customizing OpenCms
6" will be released in June. This book is a sort of update of the "Building
Websites with OpenCms" book, but with a more inclusive audience in mind.

While the last book was geared toward the developer, this one is geared more
toward users and administrators. The approach is a little more basic than
the last book. I walk the reader through a task in a step-by-step fashion
instead of assuming that the reader knows how to get around OpenCms. This
book should be a comfortable introduction to someone new to OpenCms, and it
should also provide a wealth of reference material for more sophisticated
OpenCms users. I have also provided more details on administering OpenCms,
so this book should be of interest to system admins, too.

No Java coding knowledge is necessary, and I even try to keep the XML and
HTML examples to a minimum (only chapter 6 requires HTML coding knowledge,
and this chapter introduces JSP tag libs).

As usual, I cover the basics of OpenCms and the process of installing and
configuring. I cover the Explorer in a way that should be comfortable for a
new OpenCms user. In later portions of the book, I cover the Administration
and Workflow views in detail (more detail, in fact, than the previous book).

I also cover the basic taglibs (in chapter 6), though I don't do much
serious coding. The goal is to give the reader the tools necessary for
creating his or her own templates and simple JSP elements without requiring
the reader to learn Java (or even complex JSPs) first. I have made an effort
to cover the new tags introduced in OpenCms 6.2 (namely, the <cms:img/> tag
and the <cms:decorator/> tag).

Keep in mind that some of the royalties from this book go back to Alkacon to
help generate the revenue needed to keep OpenCms flourishing.

The official book site is here:
http://www.packtpub.com/OpenCMS6_admin/book
(Code from the book will be posted there shortly, as will samples from
chapters of the book)

The new developer-centered OpenCms book is in the works. In order to really
make this book stand out, I was hoping to get other serious OpenCms
developers involved, too -- writing perhaps a chapter or two on topics like
writing advanced templates, coding modules, and combining OpenCms with other
Java applications. If you are interested, send me an (off-list) email.

Thanks,

Matt Butcher