[opencms-dev] Google Web Toolkit

Sebastian Himberger sebastian.himberger at gmx.de
Thu Jun 1 09:33:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

GWT: i haven't tried it. But AFAIK not everything (escpecially the
compiler?) is open source.  How good would it be to have OpenCms
depending on something not completly Open Source?

Quote:

>     * The GWT Java class libraries used to build your applications are
>       open source under the Apache License, Version 2.0
>       <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>. The GWT
>       Java-to-JavaScript compiler and hosted web browser are shipped
>       binary-only and subject to the license below

AJAX in general: I prefer a compatibility aware of way moving to AJAX
too. E.g. The dialog and widget framework maybe could be extended to
support ajax. This way a big part of the workplace would instanly
improve. If you switch to a completly new system all code developed for
the OpenCms dialogs and widgets would be redundant. In general i think
AJAX is a very good idea, but in my opinion the already developed stuff
needs to be taken in consideration.

best regards
Sebastian