[opencms-dev] Google Web Toolkit

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Thu Jun 1 10:50:21 CEST 2006

Hmm.  How about the following as a way of documenting what we might as well
call the HTTP API?  Sorry it's a bit of a stream of consciousness.

1.  Interaction with OpenCms is stateless, isn't it, apart from the cookie
keying into an instance of CmsObject and thereby carrying the notion of
current project and current site?  So we could carry out every possible
operation through the Workplace and record a log of HTTP accesses, and that
would span the HTTP API space.

2.  Some HTTP calls are 'do this' (of interest to us), others are 'tell me
what to display'; the latter are either 'tell me how to make this look nice'
(not of interest to us) or 'give me the value of this thing' (of interest to
us).  We could filter out the recorded HTTP access log to remove rubbish
(image accesses, frameset components which aren't of interest, other
decorative things) and end up with just the calls to 'do this' and 'give me
the value'.  Associating them with our Workplace actions would be a good
starting point for documenting the HTTP API.

I don't imagine even Alkacon have this level of documentation, because
things have inevitably been built up by accretion.  This feels like one of
those times when things are just ripe for refactoring!

Jon