[opencms-dev] Guests and sessions

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Thu Jun 8 08:22:18 CEST 2006

It's easy to maintain sessions in an OpenCms 'application'.  In sample
OpenCms code and in most people's use of it, JSPs are written with the page
directive attribute session=false, just to avoid the overheads associated
with session maintenance.  But it's quite possible to write an
OpenCms-hosted JSP with session=true, and (as you'll know) you would have to
do this in order for sessions to be maintained.  The session maintenance
mechanism would be the usual jsessionid stuff, and as usual you could stash
your application's session state in the JSP session scope by your usual
preferred means.

In other words, statefulness/statelessness is only associated with the Guest
user in that in the absence of a session, the user is always taken initially
to be the Guest user.  Of course, your own code could then decide to 'log
in' the current CmsRequestContext as another user, but if sessions weren't
being maintained that would be a one-off thing.

On the subject of SEO, I asked Google about how it treated jsessionids,
because for such an important topic it didn't seem to be covered very well
anywhere.  I've copied the exchange below (I'm sure Google won't mind).  I
guess it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, and it still
leaves me thinking that Google doesn't like statefully-browsed web sites...
I'd be interested to know what you end up doing.

Jon
======================================
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your note. [...] Please be advised that in order for Googlebot
to be able to crawl your site effectively, your server should not require
cookies for HTTP requests with a User-Agent header that includes the
substring "Googlebot" anywhere in the header value.

Additionally, as you may already know, session IDs can cause problems for
our robots. Please disable session IDs for Googlebot so that our robots may
crawl your site more efficiently.

We appreciate your taking the time to write to us.

Regards,

The Google Team

Original Message Follows: