[opencms-dev] Guests and sessions

Chris Stephens Chris.Stephens at virginmoney.com.au
Thu Jun 8 07:34:44 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

I hope this question does not repeat earlier ones: I have looked and
could not find the same question on the list previously...

I understand that OpenCms treats every visitor not signed in as Guest.
So logging out in fact entails logging in as Guest.

I also notice that browsing an OpenCms website (e.g. the demo pages) as
Guest does not set any cookies.

This is great news for SEO: no need to artificially get rid of the
JSESSIONID (or similar) part of the URL!

But if the Guest activity is not stateful then does that mean I cannot
set session variables per Guest user? This is a major problem for us
because we need to track a Source ID (from a banner ad) through our site
until the visitor starts an application for one of our products. At that
point and thereafter the Source ID is dealt with by the form framework.

Is anyone doing something similar? Can anyone provide some suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris