[opencms-dev] Intermittent HTTP 403 errors

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Thu Jun 8 15:39:21 CEST 2006

My client's frustrated because he gets intermittent 403 errors when editing
content or saving it and returning to the Workplace.  This happens mostly
when he's using Internet Explorer but probably also in Firefox.  I'm using
Apache, mod_rewrite, mod_jkl, Tomcat 5.5.17, OpenCms 6.2.1, Java J2SE 5.0
update 7.  (And currently a bottle of Stella Artois.)  I've turned off all
host-based security at the Apache level.

Symptoms: on entering the XML content editor, some FCKEditor toolbar icons
don't appear and there are corresponding 403 errors in Apache's log; and on
the times when this happens, it's usually futile to save-exit the document
because the Workplace doesn't (fully) appear (or subsequently reload using
the Workplace 'Reload' button) - instead, a 403 report appears in the
browser window.  The 'Workplace 403 error', as I'll call it, usually only
happens after there's been a problem loading some of the toolbar icons.

Any ideas welcome!

Jon