[opencms] [opencms-dev] Optimizing OpenCMS performance.

Nigel Kersten nigel at cofa.unsw.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 13:32:28 CEST 2006

On 16/06/2006, at 9:24 PM, <justin.spies at sbcglobal.net>
<justin.spies at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Having such a large VM configured can cause garbage collection
> issues, which lead to performance problems.  I'm not sure that is
> the problem here, however to find out, you can use the following VM
>
> -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -Xloggc:"C:
> \garbage.log"
>

> Obviously you'll want to change the -Xloggc: value to a file that
> matches one on your file system.  With as large of a VM as you
> have, it is possible that the system is causing long pauses to
> collect a large amount of garbage objects.  Look for entries where
> the system does a full garbage collection and note how long they
> take and how far apart they are spaced.

Thank you very much Justin.

I had come across mention of this, but also that garbage collection
issues like this shouldn't be a problem with Tomcat 5.5 and Java 1.5,
does that seem right to you?

I did test with a wide range of max values, and this cpu usage issue
cropped up irrespective of those settings.

Thanks for the debug info, I'll grab that.

--
Nigel Kersten [Senior Technical Officer]
College of Fine Arts, University of NSW, Australia.