[opencms] [opencms-dev] Optimizing OpenCMS performance.

justin.spies at sbcglobal.net justin.spies at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 21 22:58:43 CEST 2006

Sorry Nigel, I just started using this SBC account and didn't see these getting stuck in my spam folder until now...

To answer your question about the garbage collection issues, I've still seen many posts about garbage collection in Java 1.5.  In fact, there is a known garbage collection bug in JDK1.5 that is not scheduled to be fixed until 1.5_08.

Also, despite the performance improvements (I've read of people using 12GB heap sizes on 64bit machines, but have no way to verify this), the system still spends a large amount of time processing the memory.  I'm working on a project now that involves a BEA server using the Sun 1.4 JDK and a full GC of a 400MB heap is still taking about 1.0 - 1.5 seconds.  From what I've read, there are two approaches to tuning GC--the first is to setup the system to perform frequent, but short (low pause) collections (i.e. using a small heap) and the other is to tune the system using infrequent but long collections (i.e., using a large heap.)  The route taken depends on the application.

Justin