[opencms-dev] moving users/passwords/permissions from 6.0.4 to 6.2.1

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jul 18 09:09:20 CEST 2006

Since my upgrading from a 6.0.4 to 6.2.1 site did not run as smooth as
expected (under Windows XP and apache2/tomcat5 with proxy mapping of /opencms) -
it had been pointed out that /update should be included in the mapping
but fiddling with that was too late yesterday evening when the (intranet)
site had to be on line this morning again.

Also I did not solve the problem with connecting to the database due to
forgotten password.

Can anyone tell me again what these two passwords are for?

1.) root password for setup (is it being set through the setup? or has it to be
written down for future use and be remembered?

2.) root password to connect to the database

Ok, I understand this is my fault when I forget it, but I tried a couple
of tricks (with --skip-grant-tables)  to get the root password of mysql
changed back, to no avail. Maybe one has to run an interactive mysqld process
as console application rather than a service. So what,
I wiped out MySQL totally, installed some 5.0.18 of MySQL and the latest
Connector/J. Wiped out the $(CATALINA_HOME)/webapps/ROOT tree having made
an export of /sites/mysite and /system/modules/org.mysite.frontend.

Now my question: Is that enough? How do I get bask my users into the system
I'm wondering why my Admin password is still admin. Which part should I
have exported from the old system to get also the users?