[opencms-dev] install opencms with eclipse

Martin Hoeller martin.hoeller at xss.co.at
Wed Jul 26 10:35:20 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 10:13, Vikas Jain wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> Many many thanks for your prompt reply.
> How did you instal on a separate tomcat server and copied the resulting
> directory structure to your eclipse project?
> Can you send me the steps to do this?

Well, what I did is the following:

1) install OpenCms on a standalone (=w/o eclipse) tomcat server.
   Let's say under $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms.

2) make a new "Dynamic Web Project" in Eclipse, say 'myProject'.

3) close the project in Eclipse

4) copy everything from $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms to
   $ECLIPSE_WORKSPACE/myProject/WebContent/

5) adapt $ECLIPSE_WORKSPACE/myProject/WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml as/if
   needed by your web application.

6) open the project in Eclipse and do a 'refresh' (just be sure everything
   is up-to-date).

7) Run myProject from eclipse.

Note that OpenCms still holds all its JSPs in the database, so editing the
JSPs you may find in the directory .../WEB-INF/jsp/ doesn't help. I use the
FTP module for OpenCms (http://disco.kalkatraz.de/opencmsftpd/) for editing
my JSPs.

hth,
- martin