[SPAM] - Re: [SPAM] - [opencms-dev] CMS framework suggestion - Email found insubject - Email found in subject

Anthony Roy aroy at hpi.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 18:51:04 CEST 2006

> If Alkacon (or someone else with the time/resources) was to
> setup and maintain a Wiki and create a skeleton Table Of
> Contents I suspect that many of us would be able to
> contribute. I already have a few small howtos in my Wiki
> (http://cms.galway.net:8080/OpenCmsWiki/ ) > which I would
> gladly copy/paste into an "official" wiki.

Thanks for the link. I have solved my "Custom Page type" question after
days of working out how it all fits together by poring over the code and
module structure of other modules. The built in documentation was
inadequate. It shows very well how to create a schema, and how to create
a template, but has nothing on how they all fit together to create a
working system. The manifest.xml and properties dialog don't seem to be
documented anywhere.

It turns out that it is pretty easy to put it all together - if you know
where to look. A simple wiki page or two would clarify the process.

I found a helpful Flash demo of how to do this in the end, which filled
in the remaining blanks for me:
http://www.wdogsystems.com/opencms/opencms/demos/structured_content_edit
ing.html

Again, a wiki would be a great place to store links such as this.

> Over time a well maintained documentation Wiki would improve
> the documentation situation dramatically.

I agree - there are plenty of examples out there that show that a Wiki
is invaluable to the documentation of open source projects. An excellent
example is the Gentoo Linux wiki. It makes an otherwise daunting Linux
distribution (the installation process isn't exactly trivial) into a
relatively easy to set up and maintain system. In fact the docs on the
Gentoo wiki are relevant and useful to pretty much any Linux
distribution.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of HPI Limited. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify postmaster at hpi.co.uk.This message has been scanned by Anti-Virus. Recipients are advised to apply their own virus checks to this message on delivery.