[opencms-dev] How to make multilingual site

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Tue Aug 29 21:57:37 CEST 2006

> Hello Everybody,
>  I want to know weather OpenCms support Hindi(indian language) or not. If it
> does not support what i have to do sothat i can also develop the website in
> hindi laguage and many more indian languages. I dont want to convert the
> worksapace into hindi. I just want to make the website in many indian
> laguages.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ajay Tyagi
> +919346744401

Hi

Basically opencms can handle everything that can be handled by Java. Also, Java supports Unicode, which can express practically every writing system that is used in the world today - *IF* (and it's a big if for some languages) - if you find a program that allows you to input these characters in unicode and if common browsers can display these characters and if common operating systems have the fonts for that.

Search java.sun.com for "locales" and "hindi", then you should be able to find the list of supported languages/character sets.
So I think Hindi should be no problem and I would also expect that Hindi is well-supported by current browsers (but I have no practical experience with Hindi).
Even if a language is not explicitly supported by Java, you should be able to work with it, because Java uses unicode.

So - the question is not so much if opencms can do it - it's more if current browsers/operating systems support Indian scripts well enough, especially if the characters are expressed in unicode. Older Browsers and Operating Systems might be a problem.

Regards
Christian