[opencms-dev] Direct Publish: Siblings?

Carl Alex Friis Nielsen cfn at kb.dk
Wed Aug 30 12:49:07 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org@KB On Behalf Of "David Trattnig"

> So whats about the siblings in the first case - will they be published
> or not cuz there is no checkbox to confirm this? I think this
> inconsistency should be fixed...

There are two issues here - the existence of the sibling with its properties
and its content.

If the sibling doesn't exist in the online project it will
still not exist after the direct publish described.

If the sibling does exist in the online project it will still exist
in the online project, but with unchanged properties, but its content
has been updated. Eg. if the sibling uses a different locale it will
now show the updated content no mater which way you published any of
its siblings - there is only one content shared between the siblings
and that is what will be shown after publishing.

You can only omit publishing a siblings existence and its properties
- not its content.

IIRC the semantics of checking the "siblings boks" when publishing a set
of resources is that siblings IN the set are published - not that siblings
OF the content of the set are published. If this is correct there is no
reason to ask about it when publishing a single resource because if the
single resource is a sibling you have already decided to publish it and having
a sibling check box would be asking you twice - so if this is the case there
is no inconsistency.

cheers,

Carl