[opencms-dev] System Requirements for OpenCms

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Sep 11 02:30:15 CEST 2006

I am looking into some VPS hosting for a couple of small OpenCms sites. In
particular, I am trying to size the amount of RAM I need.

I found this link from 2005 -
http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2005q3/019172.html,
which indicates that a bare minimum of 256 MB of RAM is required to run
OpenCms. The experiment was done on a AMD64 processor running Fedora
installing OpenCms.

What about running OpenCms on Linux with a x86 architecture? Is installing
OpenCms the same as running a site? From my limited experience installing
OpenCms, it took forever to get it installed on my laptop, but once
installed, it seems to work without a lot of waiting. Are there differences
between AMD64 processors and x86 processors that would change this min.
requirement of 256 MB?

I am asking because VPS with 256MB+ is pretty expensive for the couple of
non-profits that I support.

Suggestions for good VPS hosting companies for OpenCms would be greatly
appreciated!

I found one company, Host for Web, that offers 256 MB guaranteed for
$400/year. Anybody have any experience with them?
http://www.hostforweb.com/vps.html

My usage will be several small sites with low level access - 10-12 pages/site,
about 1200 members/site but low volume - say only a handful of simultaneous
accesses. The sites are for local sports clubs, and most people look at the
site once a day/to once a week for calendar changes.

Thanks!
--
Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc