[opencms-dev] upgrading modules workflow

Mark Homan mark.homan at hpi.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 09:33:18 CEST 2006

All,

I would like some help/information on how opencms attempts to deal with
upgrading of modules.

We have split all the schemas and templates into what we describe as a
backend module (something which our marketing department will have no
control over) and then a front-end module which will be the actual xml,
plain txt pages that our marketing department will be able to create,
which link to the templates and schemas in our backend modules.

How do other people manage upgrading of the schemas and templates in a
production system? Of course changing a schema to add an extra element
which is mandatory will break all existing pages as they will no longer,
in there control code, adhere to the new schema. So a manual task has to
be performed to go through those pages which reference the changed
schema and add this new element. Or you could create a new module, with
just this new schema and template in, then perform a copy paste routine
to copy all existing content using the old schema and template to a new
pages which reference them.

Also whilst developing our modules we have found that after numerous
module installs opencms becomes corrupt. Restarting the server (tomcat
in our case) doesn't help. What we have to do it wipe the database and
then import the modules again when this happens. Has anyone else had
this problem?

Thanks

Mark Homan

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of HPI Limited. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify postmaster at hpi.co.uk.This message has been scanned by Anti-Virus. Recipients are advised to apply their own virus checks to this message on delivery.