[opencms-dev] Ftpd module: my usage and proposed improvements

ruben malchow r_malchow at web.de
Tue Sep 19 23:26:30 CEST 2006

hello allesandro,

sorry for the inconvenience with the server - i don't know when it will
be online again, because we will have to set it up from scratch, and
don't have much time right now. still, i will send the module to anyone
who asks, and also i would appreciate it if someone could put it on
their webserver for the time being.

anyway. now for the other stuff. i have looked into webdav, and my
impression was that - apart from the locking bit - it has no real
advantages over ftp. what client would you use? and ftp client is
available for every freaking platform in the world, even for my mobile
(which is >3 years old). and also, the one real bonus i can imagine
would be proper file creation (with types and whatnot), proper handling
of siblings and properties.

actually, i am working on a more generic way of accessing the vfs: a
webservice, which could then be integrated with eclipse, which would be
my absolute favorite. but i am not good when it comes to gui stuff, and
really got a bit scared when i had a glance at the eclipse plugin
structure. it really is quite complex, and i would need a week or two to
really get into it.

there is, however, an eclipse plugin written by some guy from finland (i
think) that does not use ftp, but launches an entire opencms instance
within eclipse, and then connects directly to the db. i think this
approach has a few major drawbacks, especially when it comes to working
with more than one developer. however, you might want to check it out:

OpenCmsVFS - http://www.laughingpanda.org/mediawiki/index.php/OpenCmsVFS
Jira - http://www.laughingpanda.org/jira/browse/OPENCMSVFS

i think it might be great to combine the eclipse plugin and a webservice
into one thing. the thing with the eclipse ftp plugin is that has a few
major bugs (at least in 3.1, haven't work with it since 3.2 came out),
especially the fact that it keeps forgetting its authentication, but i
found it quite possible to work around this without much hassle. but
it's also true that saving directly to the server without having to
press the sync button would be nice. although there are some text
editors out there that have a "save to ftp" function (i think ultraedit
has it).

how many of you would find webdav an improvement? and: has anyone ever
worked with it? i never did, and i wonder if there are clients that
support browsing opening and saving directly through webdav. it think
the protocol itself shouldn't be a problem, there are libraries out
there to handle that - one would only need to write the part between
webdav and the vfs.

ruben