[opencms-dev] Trailing slash required for directory problem

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Sep 28 11:15:22 CEST 2006

Joe Desbonnet schrieb:
> I notice from my logs I'm getting some 404s for URLs that correspond
> to directories (but with the tailing slash missing).
>
> Say you have http://www.mysite.com/about/index.html
>
> In Apache you would expect the following URLs to work:
> 1.  http://www.mysite.com/about/index.html
> 2.  http://www.mysite.com/about/
> 3.  http://www.mysite.com/about   (via automatic redirect to
> http://www.mysite.com/about/)
>
> However scenario #3 does not work in the standard OpenCms + Apache
> configuration. It just results in a 404 error.
Yes, I definitely have the same behavior. This has not been a problem
for me, but Opencms just doesn't seem to recognize this.

Possible workarounds that come to my mind are:
- use static export and serve the exported files through apache
- implement a 404 - handler that checks if the "missing" resource is
actually a folder and redirect to the folder's index page or to the
folder URL with an appended slash.

And of course, if this causes trouble for you, you could report this as
a bug.

christian