[opencms-dev] dev of auto-img-scale-down-feature for upload.jar in progress, feedback wanted...

John Bieling info at jobisoft.de
Fri Sep 29 21:22:52 CEST 2006

I just looked at the source of the upload.jar and it does not seem to be
so hard to implement the auto-scale-down of uploaded images... There is
a function called  "addFileToZip" which is the only point that needs to
be changed. If the file that is to be added is an img, scale it before
adding it.

But I am not so sure about the "look & feel", here are my sugestion, any
feedback would be helpfull.

First, I want the admin of the page to preset some max height and max
width, maybee even allow to force that without asking during upload.
Second, if the admin does not use that force-feature, each time an img
is processed a new window pops up with
 - img preview
 - img name
 - option to "leave as is" - "scale to preset" and "scale to custom"
 - also a "dont ask again and process all upcoming images like this
one"-checkbock

My clients often have no idea how to edit their camera images, so I
think that at a later stage, in that window the user can also select
which PART of the source image is to be uploaded.

Now some technical stuff, where to store the flags (force scaling
yes/no, max height/width for each site- there could be more than one
site in one installation) for the applet, direct in the database? I
think i have no acces to the vfs with the opencms-functions from the
applet, or do I?

Thanks
John B.