[opencms-dev] Creating A new site

David Dyer ddyer at artifact-software.com
Thu Oct 26 18:44:57 CEST 2006

Christoph Schönfeld wrote:

>> <site server="http://localhost:8080" uri="/sites/default/"/>
>> <site server="http://localhost:8080" uri="/sites/www/"/>
>
> I suspect that the two identical server attributes conflict with each
> other.
>
> Provided that this is true, you will need to decide which site should
> be available at this URL.
>
> Christoph

Is there a document describing how this should be done or are we trying
to do something that is not the right way to go?

I notice that a lot of CMS sites have urls that look like
www.somedomain.tld:8080/opencms/site rather than just
www.somedomain.tld:8080/site which looks a bit more standard. In the end
I will probably mod_proxy the site with Apache to let the user type
www.somedomain.tld to get to the user site and perhaps have
openCMS.somedomain.tld point to the OpenCMS mantenance application.

The "official documentation" that we have found is not very clear about
how to start a site and how to structure a CMS application. I guess that
we are also having trouble figuring out how the development process
(using localhost) should be done so that a real site can be created
which can be uploaded in some simple way to a production server.
In the development process it is nice to have all of the OpenCMS stuff
available through the GUI but in the end we need to be able to take
something and put it on another server to run a production web site.
I have not found any document that describes how this is best done with
OpenCMS.

--
David Dyer
Artifact Software Inc.