[opencms-dev] small guide to siblings

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Oct 30 14:13:43 CET 2006

Volkmar Emberger schrieb:
> hi there,
>
> does anyone know a good guide to silbings?
> is a sibling only a link to a resource in the database? so 2 siblings
> share the same permissions and data of one source?
Siblings are like hard links in unix filesystems.
You have two filesystem headers in different names/locations in the
filesystem.

Each of these filesystem headers has it's own file properties (but in
opencms there can also be shared properties that are commonly used by
all siblings).

The content is identical between all siblings. It's a bit like having
several file names that point to the same content block(s).
> i am asking wether its possible to create a sibling and give one part
> all rights (edit, publish) and the other part (in another folder)
> no permissions at all.
It should be possible, although I haven't tried. But what's the benefit?
> or is it better to change the permissions for this folder for the user
> so he can't gain control over the siblings inside?
If you want to make a global permission setting for everything contained
in a folder it's more convenient to attach the permissions to that folder.
But both ways should be possible - setting individual sibling
permissions or setting inheritable permissions

greetings
christian