[opencms-dev] URL mangling in editor

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Nov 6 21:11:11 CET 2006

> I've got a site where part of the site's URL space is mapped to a
> directory at the Apache level. ie http://www.mysite.com/* generally
> gets directed to OpenCms except that
> http://www.mysite.com/files/* is mapped to a regular directory.
>
> The problem is what whenever a link is made to something in
> http://www.mysite.com/files/...
> in the HTML editor the URL gets mangled to /opencms/files/... on saving.
>
> Is this behaviour configured somewhere? Or do I need to hack code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe.

Dear Joe,

I don't think, that you can configure this. This seems to be, how opencms makes your site-internal links work.
Sadly opencms seems to convert all links with your site name into relative opencms links.

If you can add another subdomain name for your site, then you might try linking to that
(like http://external.site.com).

Whenever the domain name of a link is different from the domain where your CMS runs, opencms should leave your link alone.
The idea is that you up set that other domain to point to the same set of documents. If you want, you could also link to a redirector script, but the downside with that is of course that it's slower for your users who follow that link.

Of course this a hack, but it's the best idea I have. Otherwise you would have to change opencms  and I don't know if you can change that behavior without breaking the editor with regards to links that really *do* point into your opencms site.

hth
christian