[opencms-dev] opencms verse JBoss Portal Server?

Mick Knutson mickknutson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:13:24 CET 2006

That is what I was afraid of.... :-(

It seems I am spending more time figuring out "Which One", verse actually
getting to it....

I guess my biggest constraint in version 1 is that I have thousands of
musical shows I am cataloging, then playing for registered users
(listeners).
In version 2, I need the ability to integrate those shows into an e-commerce
store to allow people to buy various songs that are within each of those
shows.

What about JBoss Portal with Alfresco CMS? Did you compare that? Search is
important to me as well, and Alfresco looks like they have Lucerne.

On 12/5/06, Christoph Schönfeld <cschoenfeld at sylphen.com> wrote:

> Hi Mick,
>
> there is no simple answer to this question. It depends on what you want
> to do. Portal software and WCMS software have been converging in the
> recent years, which unfortunately does not make the decision easier.
>
> My company decided to use OpenCms for a customer information portal
> project recently after we made a product comparison of OpenCms, JBoss
> Portal and several other systems including Liferay, Lenya, Typo3,
> Joomla, Daisy, and Drupal. The comparison was based on the special
> requirements of the project. You will, at least to some extent,
> certainly have to do some analysis as well.
>
> First we defined our requirements and weighed them with values of 5, 10
> or 15. Then we judged how each system fulfilled each requirement with
> values from 0 to 2. All these values were put into a spreadsheet. We
> placed the sum of the products of weight and fulfillment values for each
> requirement at the bottom line which gave the total score for each
> product. This made it easy for us to judge how the systems compared to
> each other.
>
> The following resources provides useful during my research.
>
> - Slava Asipenko, Yuval Zukerman, OpenCms 6.0: A Review, ,
> http://www.cmswatch.com/Feature/152-OpenCms-6?source=RSS
> - Janus Boye, Portal Software: Passing Fad or Real Value?, 2005,
> http://www.cmswatch.com/Feature/120-Case-Against-Portals
> - Mike Heck, JBoss and Liferay provide open portals to SOA, 2006,
> http://www.computerwoche.de/index.cfm?pid=362&pk=3157&opv=tb
> - CMS Matrix, 2006, http://www.cmsmatrix.org
>

> Best regards,
> Christoph
>
> PS: Btw, JBoss Portal achieved the least score in our comparison. Mainly
> due to the lacking search function which was high priority for us. From
> the bare spreadsheed, Drupal won but chosed OpenCms because it was the
> strongest candidate in the Java sector.

Thanks

DJ MICK
http://www.djmick.com