[opencms-dev] difference between publishing "/" and publishing"/sites/default"????

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Fri Jan 5 19:54:59 CET 2007

When you say you published "/", do you mean you set the Site dropdown to "/"
then clicked "Publish project"?  If so, that might explain what you saw.

The "Publish project" button does just that - it publishes the project shown
in the Project dropdown, and the Site dropdown isn't relevant.  Whatever its
setting, you are publishing the whole of the project (usually the Offline
project).  However, when you are logged in, then the Site dropdown does
determine which site is rendered (i.e.: which VFS root path is used) when
your browser visits a URL under the OpenCms server's control.

Generally you need to make sure the site dropdown reads "/sites/default/" in
order to see the site whose content you've been creating; having it set to
"/" and visiting e.g. the root (URL /) causes OpenCms to try to render VFS
resource /index.html or /index.jsp - and in general these simply don't
exist, leading to the blank browser page I imagine you saw.  Setting the
site dropdown to "/sites/default/" means a visit to / causes OpenCms to look
for /sites/default/index.html etc.

This isn't an issue for non-logged-in visitors.  In this case, the config
file opencms-system.xml defines which VFS root is to be used.

Jon

  _____