[opencms-dev] Remote debugging OpenCms with Eclipse

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Fri Jan 19 07:02:39 CET 2007

I use a decent Eclipse development environment to produce OpenCms apps, and
I'm able to remotely debug a running OpenCms instance.  The only thing
missing is JSP source attachment, and I'm wondering if anyone else has
managed to sort this out.

I can set breakpoints in Java and JSP code and they are hit at the
appropriate times.  Breakpoints in Java source result in that source being
shown; but I can't associated JSP source with JSP breakpoints.  In the Debug
view, the stack trace shows when execution has stopped in a JSP file (see
attachment), and the file name and line number are shown, but no matter what
source folder settings I create in Eclipse, the right JSP source isn't shown
e.g. when I double-click the entry in the Debug view stack.

I've tried putting copies of the associated JSPs, and even their compiled
Java counterparts, underneath various likely-looking hierarchies within
Eclipse source folders - but no luck.

I'm using Eclipse + J2EE/WTP, by the way, but not defining servers etc that
way.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm guessing it might be something to do witih
the way OpenCms causes JSPs to be compiled - e.g. the embedded source file
path.

Jon