[opencms-dev] Remote debugging OpenCms with Eclipse

Martin Hoeller martin.hoeller at xss.co.at
Fri Jan 19 09:05:47 CET 2007

Hi Jonathan!

> I use a decent Eclipse development environment to produce OpenCms apps,
> and I'm able to remotely debug a running OpenCms instance.  The only
> thing missing is JSP source attachment, and I'm wondering if anyone else
> has managed to sort this out.

I had this working... somehow. As my eclipse workspace and my VFS were not
synchronized it happened, that the source code and the actually executing
code drifted some lines apart, but basically it worked.

However, I just tried to reproduce it and I'm not able to :( Na matter what
I choose to be the source folder Eclipse (3.2.1 BTW) doesn't find the
source. The only thing I can definitely say is that I didn't specify any
special folder for this to work. Eclipse just found it.

> I'm using Eclipse + J2EE/WTP, by the way, but not defining servers etc
> that way.

That is different to what I used. I copied a working OpenCms instance in
a "Dynamic Web Project" of eclipse and had thus OpenCms running inside
Tomcat which was under control of Eclipse.

However, I don't like this way of running OpenCms too much. Setting it up is
quite a task and Eclipse does some magic behind the scenes that I'm not
totally aware of.

How did you set up your environment? Is there some documentation online
available?

regards,
- martin
--