[opencms-dev] Re: Re: need help: how improving opencmsperformance?

Isaac R. Higgins isaac.higgins at isaacray.com
Wed Jan 24 17:15:18 CET 2007

Achim is right.  If you set the JVM to use all of windows' RAM, Windows will swap EVERYTHING it does.  With MySQL running on the same machine and 1-3K queries per page, you can expect MySQL to do some swapping too.

Question: What kind of content are you running on your pages?  I have a page that pulls information from other servers and platforms and it loads slower than other pages, but never more than 6 seconds (running on my temp/crappy laptop 768MB Ram 2.4GHz Celeron, 4200RPM Drive, WINXPSP2).

I suggest you check your MySQL my.ini settings. If you are not using INNODB or MyISAM then disable it.  Also, check the memory allocation and caching of MySQL.  I have mine set to only use 4MB on startup.  This isn't the most efficient setting, but it keeps resources free.

Also, check the number of processes you have running in XP.  Mine is currently at 35 and I have all kinds of stuff running.  I think mine is around 27 on a reboot.  You can goto "start" -> "run" and type "msconfig" to remove some processes loaded at startup.  Also disable drive indexing service and windows auto update service (start->run->services.msc).

Lastly, run optimize on your MySQL tables.

-Isaac

PS I'll let you know if I think of anything else.