[opencms-dev] Re: OpenCMS issue

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Feb 3 12:42:27 CET 2007

> Dear

Dear Jaisy,

again - please write questions to the list directly.

> I am trying to access to OpenCMS resource from java API and I get this
> error which doesn’t allow me to lock or modify any resource.
>
> I had seen ur post in the forum so asking u. could you please help me
> out??????
>

> Caused by: org.opencms.file.CmsVfsException: This operation is not
> allowed in the "Online" project.

The message says it: you cannot lock files in the online project.
Why is this so? Because opencms does version management and because
there is a strict separation between online content (one could also say
"active content") and offline content (one could also say "inactive
content"), you always have to change files in your offline project.
After making changes there, you have to publish them to activate the
changes for everybody.

hth
christian