[opencms-dev] Question: Best way to integrate OpenCms with other applications

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Thu Feb 15 12:42:41 CET 2007

I've got an OpenCms based site that includes many pages featuring data
from a legacy database. My approach is to create a separate webapp in
my servlet container (Tomcat) which responds to HTTP GET requests from
OpenCms and returns HTML suitable for inclusion in the OpenCms
template.

I use Apache HTTP Client library to issue GET requests from my OpenCms
template JSPs and include the response in my OpenCms pages.  I find
this works well for me. It allows me to make changes to the format of
the included HTML without having to touch OpenCms.

I'm not sure how well that will work for read/write scenarios, eg
shopping carts.

See http://www.galway.net/ for that in action (most of the business
directory listings are generated that way)

Joe.