[opencms-dev] Is there a way to (re-)publish the Online Project..?

Chris Stephens Chris.Stephens at virginmoney.com.au
Sun Feb 18 23:56:11 CET 2007

Hi folks,

We recently had an unusual problem where parts of the published webpages
were blank in the browser. It transpired that those areas corresponded
to included JSP elements and that the .java files output by Jasper
(Tomcat's JSP engine) contained binary characters and hence couldn't be
compiled into bytecode.

Republishing the offending elements fixed the problem. Not sure what
caused this! The elements had not been published for weeks/months. Part
of the OpenCms caching mechanism perhaps..? Don't know.

But one component that was not visible escaped our attention - an
included JavaScript element that tracked our visitor activity (using
Omniture, in fact).

Because our website is a cluster of two servers (using OCEE from
Alkacon) and because this error was only on one server (not sure if this
reflects poorly on OCEE or not because I have no idea how the binary
characters get into the picture) we didn't notice at first and thought
we were getting reduced traffic. Took me a while to realise it was just
not being recorded properly!

The point is: the fix for this problem (which I hope is rare) is to
re-publish the files. But there is (AFAIK) no way to re-publish the
Online Project. I can't just publish the Offline one because there are
always some pages still being worked on.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Chris Stephens
Head of Technology