[opencms-dev] problem with umlauts with OpenCMS 6

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Feb 22 19:58:55 CET 2007

> Hi there,
> in order to make sure that you understood me correctly: the problem is
> not a metter of displaying content. The Problem occurs when doing a
> fileexport to a zipfile. The exported files are broken. Even the so
> called "umlauts" within JSP-files are shown as its UTF-8
> representative.

Well, what exactly do you want?
Do you want to work with utf-8 for your pages in opencms? Then it's also correct that your JSPs use UTF-8 and you should just use a different text editor for editing your downloaded JSPs.

If you want to create pages that are encoded in UTF-8 then you should use UTF-8 consistently within your templates and the content files that are processed by these templates.

If you don't want to create pages that use UTF-8 then try to set the 'encoding' property of your JSP files *and* your content files to 'ISO-8859-1' and see if that changes anything. But this *will* affect your web site, too and it may render existing content incorrect. (If your umlauts are currently working for your web pages then your setup is correct and changing the encoding property for your pages or template will lead to problematic pages being generated).

So the question is, if there is a problem with your web pages when viewed in a browser or not...

> You say that a possible solution would be to include a meta tag?

The meta tag should be inserted as a hint for web browsers into any HTML page that you generate. (Of course the charset declaration in the meta tag should match the actual encoding that you use for your pages)

But for using the DB export tools, this meta tag will not change the way how your jsps (or anything else) is exported by opencms into the file system.

christian