[opencms-dev] multilanguage

Jordi Martí jmarti at theinit.com
Tue May 22 09:35:24 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I’m new in this list. If this question has been asked before, please forgive
be, but I don’t know how to search through the content of all the previous
mails
 Is there any way to do it??

I would like to know if any of the list has had any experience setting up a
multilanguage site.

If so, what’s the best approach to do this?

I’ve been reading in OpenCms Wiki that:

To achieve a multi-language site in opencms it's a good idea to create one
top-level folder per language. These top-level folders are usually named
after their two-letter lowercase code as identified by the ISO 639-1 list
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes> , although you can
name them however you want. On each of these folders, the locale property
should be defined. This can be done by left-clicking the folder icon and
selecting properties > advanced. In the advanced properties the locale
property should be listed. All the child folders and pages will then inherit
the locale of their parent folder. If you would like a page to be available
in several locales, you start out by creating the page in one of the locale
folders, after which you create a sibling to this page in the folders of the
other locales for which you want this page to be available.

I’m not sure I understood it, but this scares me: should I have a page
replicated X times, and the user that sets up the information, this XML
information X times (being X the number of languages)?

Can’t I just have a page in which I want to show the content depending the
Locale the user selected??? Just a JSP and just a XML information (its
information replicated X times in X fields).

For example, in my JSP:

<cms:contentshow element="Title" language=”en”/> (or it could automatically
get the language from the body)

I don’t know if I explained myself.

Thank you very much!!!

--- jordi