[opencms-dev] Page with links to other pages

Arash Kaffamanesh arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de
Mon Feb 25 22:37:36 CET 2008

Hello Fabian,
hello together,

as you mentioned the link management works only with XMLContent
resources and VFS week or strong links, but as I can guess it could work
for free XML pages too (every link in xml pages shall be saved into the
relation table and if any resource which has been referenced from any
other resource moves, then upon publishing of this resource it could be
possible to publish all other related resources with the new path to the
moved resource).
So I think the link management could work for HTML Widgets within
XMLContent too.
Mainly for this reason that no link- / relationship- management is
possible at the moment for free xml pages and links within HTML Widgets,
urrently in most projects we don't allow to have any vfs or external
links or images in HTML Widget, and free xml pages are disabled at all.
Another related issue is the lack of handling external links in
XMLContent, if any external link changes (the value of "Link URL" of an
external link will change), then it would be impossible to find out in
which content items this value was inserted as string before (I know
there is the external Link validation tool there, but it works only for
external dead links).

But I hope these extended link management features are going to come soon.

@Alex? ;)

I know there are a lot of subtleties and intricacies to be aware of, but
as we know visions are unlimited and OpenCms is great enough to bring
visions to reality ;o)

In this spirit!

Best,
Arash