[opencms-dev] Best practices for multilanguage site

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Wed Feb 27 08:54:46 CET 2008

I've done a number of multilingual sites and there are pros and cons of
the various methodologies. But the folder-per-locale is my preferred one
because of its flexibility.

If you skip the folder-per-locale you are working against the default
behaviour of OpenCms. There are workarounds on the mailing list but the
most obvious problem is that the properties on a file aren't
localizable. Also, as you mention, you are forced to publish all locales
for a given file at the same time.

If you use folder-per-locale then you have an option in either using
siblings or plain copies of the files. You can even have distinct folder
structures for each site, but then you loose the option to, easily, have
a "link" between the same pages in the different language-folders. If
you are using siblings you could still have that link assuming that you
don't use siblings for anything else (than making localized "copies" of
pages).

problem, but adds the convenience that you can edit content for multiple
languages from within the editor and it is easier to keep track of
localized "copies".

But with the folder-per-locale you have the option, and I have set up
sites that uses either copies or siblings, or a combination depending on
the organisations needs.

Whether you want to implement the folder-per-locale by means of
"sub-folders" as /en/, /da/ and so forth or you go for a multi-site
setup again depends on the requirements. If you have only one domain,
then you won't get far with the multi-site setup, but if you have a
domain for each language (e.g. www.codedroids.com for english and
www.codedroids.dk for danish) you could choose multi-site setup. But you
can also serve multiple domains from within one site (which is actually
what happens with the codedroids-site) - then you should do the
domain-trickery in apache (assuming you have a typical setup running
tomcat behind apache).

/Claus

Claus Priisholm, CodeDroids ApS
Phone: +45 48 22 46 46