[opencms-dev] 7.0.4 OrgUnits, Roles and Permissions

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Wed Mar 5 22:11:30 CET 2008

Hi Marc,

Actually 7.0.4 does not "reintroduce" webusers. It introduced a special type
of OrgUnit called the "Webuser only" OrgUnit type.

The main difference to a "regular" OrgUnit is that the "Webuser" OrgUnit
never allows any access to the OpenCms Workplace. The regular OrgUnit users
can be assigned the "User" role for access to the Workplace. So before 7.0.4
you can create an OrgUnit with users that all have no role in OpenCms, and
use this as "webuser" unit. However, some customers where uneasy about the
possibility of a "webuser" being accidentally assigned an OpenCms role.
Hence we introduced the "Webuser" type OrgUnit, where the user just can't
have any role at all.

Kind Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior

Visit us on CeBIT expo in Hannover, Germany
March 4 to March 9, 2008 - Hall 5 Stand F59/3